Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A New Year

We are now well in to the new year here in Ouagadougou.  I had the wonderful opportunity to go home for the holidays.  It was totally unexpected, but Tabitha Center closed for the holidays and I happened upon a very inexpensive airline ticket.  It was good to be with family.  I was able to see my 2 month old granddaughter for the first time, her 17 month old brother, and help out their mommy (who I found totally exhausted physically and emotionally!)

As with any group of people trying to work together, Tabitha Center experienced some rocky times just before the holidays.  Some of the women lost sight of the purpose of the Center and that led to misunderstandings and unhappiness.  Fortunately, through prayer and communication, we have worked  through the issues and start the new year strong.  In the African culture, women do not usually assume a leadership role.  We've divided the women into groups and appointed one of them to lead each group.  It is very difficult for them and will require some extensive training so that they can be effective. 

Betty Arnold found a translator for me and she started today.  Her name is Anna and she is a smart, polished young Burkinabe woman.  I couldn't believe how great it was to have her with me!  It meant I could really communicate with the women and we were able to work out some kinks in the jewelry production.  Anna jumped right in to learn how the different items are made and assist the women.  

I witnessed something today that I have never seen before.  Just before we were closing at Tabitha House, we heard hysterical screaming and saw a young boy running from a man holding a leather whip.  The man caught the little boy and started whipping him as hard as he could.  Several of the women and I ran over to where it was happening, and before we got there the man took off.  The little boy was bleeding from both ears, his head and back.  I took him to the center and washed and dressed his wounds.  Poor little guy was scared out of his mind.  We found out that his mother was scared of the father and fled to her village, leaving the little boy behind.  The father is taking out his frustration on the little boy, who is in first grade.  The little boy doesn't want to go to school because he says they beat him there as well.  He snuck away from school and that's why his father beat him.  The little guy hadn't eaten or had water in who knows how long.  I gave him my water bottle and he drained it.  Then the Pastor's wife took him to their home to feed him, and the Pastor will take the little boy home later and talk to his father.  He will tell the father that it is against the law to beat children and if he does it again he will be arrested.  My heart hurts for that little boy.  Life can be very, very rough here.

My time here is flying by.  I've been here four full months now and know that there is so much work yet to do.  I'm encouraged and grateful that there is visible progress with the women at Tabitha Center and that God is being praised.  I am so fortunate to be a part of it!  

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to be with family for Holidays! Amazing to see what your impact has been at Tabatha House in just 4 months. It has inspired many here at Clay Church. Over 100 pillow dresses should be completed by the time Herb's team comes your way. Let us know how we can pray for you and the ministry at Tabatha house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story about the little boy just ripped my heart out. It's crazy how much violence is a part of so many cultures in Africa. It takes me back to the story you wrote about the anger and frustrations that came from the "missing money" last year. There's so much peace and conflict resolution that needs to happen in these lands yet it still isn't seen as a legitimate "development" project and thus has limited funding. I'm all about providing basic necessities for people (I'm huge into fresh water wells) but if anger embraces their hearts, they cannot enjoy the blessings of the things we provide. My prayers are with you and the pastor and all those in Burkina who do have loving hearts and will continue to spread Jesus' love to their fellow man and break down those angry hearts ...

    ReplyDelete