Thursday, April 25, 2013

Seeing Others Through God's Eyes

Yesterday, I was reminded of the difficulties we have of accepting people just the way they are.  There is a boy who loves to come to Tabitha House even though his mom is not one of our members.  It's hard to guess his age - maybe 14. His limbs flail, he has difficulty walking, and when he speaks his words are incoherent. I happened to be outside yesterday when he arrived. The other kids are either scared of him, or mock him. They poke him, then run and laugh when he tries to come after them. He lives in "survival" mode so if something is taken from him, he retaliates.

As he was coming up to the Center, the kids were screaming, laughing and taunting him. One of the women grabbed a switch and yelled at him to leave, acting like she was going to hit him if he didn't. In their defense, he can become very agitated and aggressive, but who can blame him when he's treated that way? 


I went out to him and brought him to where all the kids were sitting and coloring. I gave him a page, a crayon and showed him how to color. None of the kids wanted to be near him until I sat down next to him and  then they all moved in close to us and continued coloring. (Being the closest to "nasara" - white woman - is evidently very important!)


This boy breaks my heart. He has the most beautiful smile and behind his defenses, a sweet spirit. I happened to notice that flies were all around him. It was sickening when I discovered why- he had open sores on his knees and elbows from falling and that's what the flies were drawn to. I cleaned them up as best I could, slathered his sores in antibiotic ointment and put a bandage on the worst area.


I guess it's the same wherever you go - its hard to accept people who are different. I can't judge the women in Sector 30 who shoo him away with a switch. He can be aggressive and mean. But when you pay attention to him he beams with that sweet spirit. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all see each other as God sees us and treat each other with that kind of love?

1 comment:

  1. It seems true that lack of kindness knows no borders, but that demonstrating a better way is universal too. Thinking of you from Indiana! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete