Friday, July 19, 2013

A Sad Day

Today at Tabitha Center, one of the women asked if she could speak with me after we closed.  Her name is Dipama Rakiete.  She has a little baby boy that I absolutely adore.  He has big eyes that pierce right through you.  Whenever I hold him, I tell him he is going to be a great leader for the people of Burkina Faso.  Dipama is a special woman - her demeanor radiates love and respect.  Several weeks ago she brought me two mangoes.  Although it doesn't sound like much, for her it was a big sacrifice and I honor it as a very special gift.

I found Dipama after closing and we went into the empty office.  As she was pulling out a letter from her purse, a large group of women came in.  She asked me to quickly put it away and not read it until after I left.  Her letter breaks my heart because she relates that she AIDS.  She wrote "I would like to ask you for many prayers because I need them.  Life in Burkina is very hard and when you arrive back home, explain my malady to your pastors and ask them to pray for me."

Most days at Tabitha Center have been filled with joy, but today it is sadness.  Several weeks ago, one of the women cut her leg badly on the soap cutting machine.  I took her to the clinic twice and thought she was healing.  Today she asked for some antibiotic ointment to put on it so I asked to see it.  The cut is filled with infection that has spread in a circumference of about 1-1/2 inches.  She didn't realize it should look any different.  She now has money to go back to the clinic. 

For about a month now I've been concerned about a little girl that is probably around 2 years old.  She used to roam the room with the cutest smile and was always ready for me to pick her up.  Lately the smile has disappeared, she is lethargic and clings to her mom.  I picked her up today when she woke up from her nap.  She didn't cry, she just moaned with a far way look in her eyes.   I asked her mom if the little girl was sick.  Her mom said she has been having trouble with her stomach, but she doesn't have the money to take her to a doctor.  She does now. 

Dipama is right - life is hard here in Burkina Faso.

No comments:

Post a Comment