Saturday, July 27, 2013

Loving Is Joyous But Painful



Things just weren’t quite right at Tabitha Center yesterday.  The children were louder and more mischievous than normal.  Babies cried continuously.  The women were somber and agitated.  A project that would normally be fun was tedious.  It was my last day with them and I think it weighed heavily on all of us.  As the time came to a close the women came for hugs and then surrounded our vehicle as we prepared to leave.  There is one special little guy that is probably about six years old, always has a smile on his face and is in the middle of everything.  I sobbed as I drove away, and when he looked at me his expression was of concern instead of that happy face.  As hard as I tried, I couldn’t help but cry.  Loving is joyous but also painful. 

When I first arrived in Burkina Faso last September I thought it would be the longest year of my life.  But now I wonder where the time went – how did it pass so quickly?  I keep wondering how I can go back to the U.S. and live a “normal life” after being here.  Living amongst majority world poverty changes life’s perspective.  Learning about the people that live with so little and in such hard circumstances transforms your inner being.  Working with the women at Tabitha Center has forcibly reminded me that life is about the simple things.  Their happiness does not come from how large and well-furnished their house is, the kind of car they drive, what activities their children are involved in because they don’t have any of these things.  They get up in the morning and work until the sun goes down.  When the sun sets, they sit around a fire with family and friends to share time together, laugh, sing and dance.  Nothing is taken for granted.  Every little thing is a cause for celebration. 

As I close this blog I want to thank you for sharing my journey with your prayers and love.  As of today, Walking With The Children of Burkina Faso has over 8,300 hits.  I know this sounds like a cliché, but I am humbled by your interest and care.

Please remember the people of Burkina Faso in your thoughts and prayers, as well as the missionaries and interns that serve them. 

The women gave me a going away present (until I come back they said!). 

3 comments:

  1. You completed the mission God called you to and now you hand off to the next servant God has tapped! But now you have a new mission here: "MORE." Help us to have MORE understanding and compassion, to have MORE generosity to love others with, and MORE peace about following Jesus into the world. Blessings, sister. Welcome back, at least for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a journey. So proud of you and all the joy you're leaving behind. We can't wait to have you back. Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a blessing to those women... to that country... and to those who came for a week to have their lives touched by Burkina...
    Never be afraid to tell people what you saw, learned, and felt!

    ReplyDelete